Scottish Social Services Workforce Data
Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2018
The Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) today published the Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2018.
The Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2018 presents information on:
- the number of practising MHOs in post at 3 December 2018, excluding long-term absentees
- MHO trainees, leavers, vacancies and staffing shortfalls
- some key aspects of the work carried out by MHOs in Scotland.
Key points from the report are set out below:
• There were 730 filled MHO posts in 2018.
• 84 people left 87 MHO posts during 2018, with 32 of these post holders resigning (over a third of all leavers in 2018).
• There were 13 fewer filled MHO posts in 2018 than in 2017 which is equivalent to a drop of 1.7%.
• More local authorities are reporting an MHO shortfall with 24 from 32 reporting a shortfall.
• The average reported (mean) shortfall was 81.9 hours per week for each local authority that reported one. This is equivalent to 55 full time MHOs across those authorities.
• Local authorities across Scotland reported a total of 22 unfilled exclusive MHO vacancies with 18 MHOs currently unavailable. This is an increase of eight vacancies and five more unavailable MHOs from our 2017 figures of 14 and 13 respectively.
• An increasing proportion of the MHO workforce is aged over 55. In 2014 it was 32% of MHOs, in 2018 this figure had risen to 38%. The average (mean) age of all MHOs is 50. There has also been an increase in MHOs under 40 from 13% in 2014 to 18% in 2018. Correspondingly the percentage of MHOs who fall between these ranges (ages 40 to 54) has decreased.
• The downward trend in the average weekly hours worked per post is continuing. This figure was 17.2 in 2016, 16.1 in 2017 and it decreased further in 2018 to 15.7.
• Since 2016 the number of cover MHOs has decreased. In 2016 there were 99, 76 in 2017 and 71 in 2018.
As a National Statistics product, this publication complies with The Pre-Release Access to Official Statistics (Scotland) Order 2008. The list of people who have pre-release access can be found here.
Data Tables and Charts, and blank Survey Template
Copies of the individual tables and charts in the latest report will to be provided below later this week .
The Mental Health Officer time series data section of the data website is available here. This means the latest data can be viewed as part of the full time series data, some of which goes back to 2005. The tables and charts are available for download in Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods) format, and the data tables in non-proprietary Comma Separated Values (CSV) format, individually and together in a compressed ZIP file. The provision of the data in these formats is intended to facilitate its analysis and re-use. Below you can download the blank survey template used by survey respondents to submit their data for December 2018. Please note that this illustrative blank template is in normal Excel 2010 format (.xlsx); the real template used by local authorities was a macro-enabled worksheet (.xlsm).
|Description||File type||File size (KB)|
|Blank Survey Template 2018 (Excel 2010)||.xlsx||42.3||Download|
Tables and charts from The Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2018
|Description||File Type||File size 109(KB)|
|All 2018 Tables and Charts||xlsx||109||Download|
|All 2018 Tables zipped CSV||csv||27||Download|
|All 2018 Tables and Charts||ods||71||Download|
|Table 1a: Filled MHO posts and their contracted WTE – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 1c: Estimated hours worked on MHO duties and weekly average 2016-18||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2: Exclusive MHO positions by team category – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 3: Non-exclusive and cover MHOs by team category – 2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 4: Cover MHOs – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 5: Local authorities with cover MHOs by number and year||csv||1||Download|
|Table 6: Numbers and percentage of males and females in MHO posts 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 7: Percentage (%) of all MHOs by age group – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 8a: Percentage (%) of men by age group – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 8b: Percentage (%) of women by age group – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 9: Ethnicity of MHOs by percentage (%) – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 10: Admissions to and completions of MHO Award Programmes – 2012-13 to 2018-19||csv||1||Download|
|Table 11a: MHO leaver numbers by reason for leaving – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 11b: MHO leaver percentages (%) by reason for leaving – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 11c: MHOs moving to another local authority as an MHO – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 12: Unfilled MHO posts and unavailable MHOs – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 13: MHO staffing shortfalls – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 14: Staffing shortfalls for specific groups of using services – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 15: Estimated shortfall – 2016-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 16: The proportion of practising1 social workers who are MHOs -2018||csv||2||Download|
|Table 17: Filled MHO posts and percentage (%) in mental and non-mental health teams 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 18: Estimated percentage (%) of filled MHO mental health team posts by team type – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 19: Estimated average weekly hours MHOs in mental health teams spend on MHO work by team type – 2016 - 2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 20: Estimated percentage (%) of contracted hours spent on MHO work by MHOs in mental health teams – 2016 - 2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 21: Percentage (%) of filled MHO posts by non-mental health teams – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 22: Estimated average weekly hours each MHO spent on MHO work by type of non-mental health team – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Table 23: Estimated percentage share (%) of hours spent on MHO work by MHOs in non-mental health teams by team type – 2014-2018||csv||1||Download|
|Appendix A – filled MHO posts, hours on MHO work and hours on MHO work per 10,000 population by local authority - 2018||csv||2||Download|
|Appendix B - filled MHO posts, hours on MHO work and hours on MHO work per 10,000 population by Health Board area – 2018||csv||1||Download|
|Appendix C – HSCP status of MHOs by local authority||csv||2||Download|
|Appendix D – Filled MHO post types by local authority - 2018||csv||1||Download|
|Appendix E – Number of MHOs working in out of hours services by local authority – 2018||csv||1||Download|