Scottish Social Services Workforce Data
Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2021
The Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) today published the Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2021.
The Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2021 presents information on:
- The number of practising MHOs in post at 6 December 2021, excluding long-term absentees.
- MHO trainees, leavers, vacancies and staffing shortfalls.
- Key characteristics of the MHO workforce (e.g. age) and the type of teams they work in.
The key points from this year’s MHO report are set out below.
- There were 694 filled MHO posts in 2021, which is 10 fewer than the 704 in 2020.
- The number of individuals working as an MHO fell from 677 in 2020 to 660 in 2021.
- The overall hours estimated to be spent on MHO duties each week in 2021 saw a very slight rise from 2020.
- A small fall was seen in the estimated average time spent by MHOs in mental health teams on MHO work whereas an increase was seen in the estimated average time spent by MHOs from non-mental health teams.
- Filled exclusive MHO posts rose by one (less than half a percent), the filled cover MHO posts rose by 13 (24.5%) and there was a fall of 24 non-exclusive posts (5.7%). The overall fall in MHO posts was 10 (1.4%).
- Between December 2020 and December 2021 95 staff left 95 MHO posts, this is one more than the high of 94 between December 2018 and December 2019.
- There was an increase in the number of authorities reporting an estimated shortfall in MHOs along with an increase in the total number of weekly additional hours estimated to be required.
- There is a long-term trend which has been seen since records began in 2005 of increasing proportions of MHOs located in mental health teams and reducing proportions in non-mental health teams. Almost two-thirds of MHOs are now based in MHTs compared to roughly two-fifths in 2005.
As a National Statistics product, this publication complies with The Pre-Release Access to Official Statistics (Scotland) Order 2008. The list of people who were given pre-release access can be found here.
Data Tables and blank Survey Template
The Mental Health Officer time series data section of the data website can be found here. This means the latest data can be viewed as part of the full time series data, some of which goes back to 2005. The tables are available for download in Microsoft Excel (.xlsx) and OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods) format, and the data tables in non-proprietary Comma Separated Values (CSV) format, individually and together in a compressed ZIP file. The provision of the data in these formats is intended to facilitate its analysis and re-use. Below you can download the blank survey template used by survey respondents to submit their data for December 2020. Please note that this illustrative blank template is in normal Excel 365 format (.xlsx); the real template used by local authorities was a macro-enabled worksheet (.xlsm).
|Description||File type||File size (KB)|
|Example Survey Template 2021 (Excel 365 )||.xlsx||42.3||Download|
Tables from The Mental Health Officers (Scotland) Report 2021
|Description||File Type||File size (KB)|
|All 2021 Tables||xlsx||84||Download|
|All 2021 Tables zipped CSV||csv||20||Download|
|All 2021 Tables||ods||35||Download|
|Table 1a: MHO headcount filled posts and their contracted WTE 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 1b: Estimated hours worked on MHO duties and weekly average per MHO post 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2a: MHOs posts by type 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2b: Percentage MHOs posts by type 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2c: Exclusive MHO positions by team category 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2d: Non exclusive MHO positions by team category 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2e: Cover MHO positions by team category 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 2f: Local authorities with cover MHOs by number and year||csv||1||Download|
|Table 3: Filled MHO posts, estimated hours on MHO work and estimated hours per 100,000 population by local authority 2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 4: Filled post types in each Local authority 2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 5: Numbers and percentage of males and females in MHO posts 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 6a: Percentage of all MHOs by age group 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 6b: Percentage of men by age group 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 6c: Percentage of women by age group 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 7: Ethnicity of MHOs by percentage 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 8: Admissions to and completions of MHO Award Programmes 2016-17 to 2020-22||csv||1||Download|
|Table 9a: MHO leaver numbers by reason for leaving 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 9b: MHO leaver percentages by reason for leaving 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 9c: MHOs moving to another local authority as an MHO 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 10: Unfilled MHO posts and unavailable MHOs 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 11: MHO staffing shortfalls 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 12: Estimated shortfall rate – 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 13: Staffing shortfalls for specific groups of using services 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 14a: The proportion of MHOs who are practising social workers 2021||csv||2||Download|
|Table 14b: The proportion of practising social workers who are MHOs 2021||csv||2||Download|
|Table 15a: Filled MHO posts and percentage in mental and non-mental health teams 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 15b: Total hours worked, and percentage (%) hours worked in mental and non-mental health teams 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 16a: Percentage of filled MHO posts by MHT types 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 16b: Estimated average weekly hours MHOs spend on MHO work by type of MHT 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 16c: Estimated percentage of contracted hours spent on MHO work by MHOs in MHT 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 16d: Estimated percentage share of hours spent on MHO work by MHOs in MHT by team type 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 17a: Percentage of filled MHO posts by NMHT types 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 17b: Estimated average weekly hours each MHO spent on MHO work by type of NMHT 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 17c: Estimated percentage of contracted hours spent on MHO work by MHOs in non-mental health teams 2017-2021||csv||1||Download|
|Table 17d: Estimated percentage share of hours spent on MHO work by MHOs in non-mental health teams by team type 2017-2019 GOT TO HERE||csv||1||Download|
|Appendix A: Filled MHO posts, hours on MHO work and hours on
MHO work per 10,000 population by health board area – 2021.
|Appendix B:Estimated shortfall by local authority||csv||1||Download|
|Appendix C:HSCP status of MHOs by local authority 2021||csv||1||Download|
|Appendix D: Number of MHOs working in out of hours services by
local authority – 2021.